1 small step for man........

I had been saying for a few weeks/months now that I really must start to do a bit more exercise.

Walking the dogs and swimming just don't quite feel like they are enough. Since moving out to Qatar, I haven't been playing any football or doing any running, so thought it was time again to dig out the trainers!

Well, this morning, I woke up laughing.....proper laughing in my sleep. In my dream there was some works party and someone had been a bit boozy and took a header off the wall they were sitting on and ended up in a pool or something like that.....yes very odd dreams.

Anyway, it was 5am on the dot, so thought "right it is now or never", dragged myself out of bed, threw on a lightweight footy top and shorts, pulled my running shoes out the cupboard (yes I actually took them with me from UK!) and headed downstairs.

Let the dog out her room, tried to get her outside, but she bolted away from me upstairs. I headed out into the garden, checked the temperature, it was a pleasant 32'C not bad for 5.10am, opened the villa gate and started.

It was going to be a easy once round the compound just to start loosening off the legs, stretching the lungs a bit and see what gets cleared out!

The road round the inside the perimeter is approx 0.52 miles, so should be more than capable of getting round that without stopping!

Problem is, when I have been running before, I have been on the treadmill, and you know what pace you are doing, and given that it was over 15 months ago, the muscle memory of what a comfortable pace is is long gone!

Gets to the first corner and thinking ok, this feels alright, 2nd corner, yep, shoes feel good, legs don't feel like they are suffering too much, lungs are definitely having to start working a bit now, body temperature is coming up. By corner 3, ok, it's warm, lungs working properly now, pace has dropped, pick it up a gear!

Corner 4 looks a long way, but in reality be there in no time, stop thinking about it! Round the corner 4 I can see the finishing point and picks up the pace again............and back to the gate. Ok, I'm maybe not breathing out my arse, but felt like I had actually done something!


After getting home, I went for a shower and after this going into the hall to be presented with the most foul smell ever, yes, the dog had decided to leave a present! No guessing what I had to clean next....

While cleaning up that, I also noticed the dog had left a yellow pee stain on the shaggy rug, Not my day!

After getting dressed I dragged the rug out onto the balcony, dug out the vanish oxy, and also some soap and got down to giving it a hand wash with the garden hose (which by now the temperature of the water within was barely touchable) and foamed up and scrubbed the fibres with my hand to get rug of any stains and thoroughly washed down and rinsed with the hose. Finally setting it to dry in the sun.

What a way to start the day!

Comments

Popular Posts